Monday, July 12, 2010

Trouble in Paradise?

Turns out everything is fine.

I was concerned when I looked in the natural hive. After reviewing the pictures, I found some dark cells and dark larvae, as well as some larvae that seemed mushy. Apparently, though, as the bees reuse the cells, they get darker.














I also noted that some of the capped cells were turning a greyish color, as at the top of this frame. However, that is just the older larvae that are about to hatch. I was excited to catch a couple of bees just emerging in this picture, too! They are just north of center, where the greyer cells begin.










4 comments:

  1. It's pretty amazing, seeing a bee emerge from a capped wax cell, isn't it?

    I have a few pictures of this very thing at my blog:

    http://howsrobb.blogspot.com/search?q=emerging

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I had already seen your emerging bee pix and was so jealous until I found this one. Love your site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a most clear picture of your brood and bees. Healthy larvae should be pearly white in color. Pink, brown, or gray larvae may be an indication of a brood disease. You may want to have an apiary inspector or an experienced mentor from your local beekeeping association come over and look at your brood with you. Best wishes on your endeavors.
    --Richard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Richard, I was worried, too. I had a number of experienced beeks look at these and other pictures, and they said that the comb gets darker over time. However, I am still watching it closely. This new hive didn't flourish this summer, so I'll likely have to combine it with another if it's healthy.

    ReplyDelete