Saturday, June 5, 2010

Hive 2: AAARGGGHHHH (Or, the importance of the level in foundationless frames)

Having forgone the medications that made it unsafe to operate the Suburban at any speed, particularly in the post office parking lot (which I figured out after I hit the curb twice and then cussed out my car; gee, thanks for the warning Mr. Pharmacist), I was finally well enough to examine hive #2 today, my "natural" hive. I'd set up the new bench for it and we'd had some good rains, so now I just had to level the bench and then move my new hive onto it...oh and check the new queen and add feed.

I leveled the new bench, got the smoker going, then prepared to check out my new foundationless frames, hoping for perfect comb on at least two of them, maybe more. Who am I kidding, I had envisioned four frames started, filled out halfway down, maybe a little uneven near the bottom but nothing I couldn't deal with.

I pinned my hopes high, but I'm also a realist. My hive has been a little unlevel, so I was curious, and not a little concerned, that the cone wouldn't be hanging straight at the bottom. Ahem. Not only is it not straight at the bottom, it isn't straight anywhere, unless perhaps you are a bee. As a wanna-beekeeper, I'd kind of like it to line up with the frames.

In this picture, I have pulled a couple of frames apart to show what is going on. The comb stretches from one frame to another.

Interestingly, I don't think the problem is the popsickle sticks. The angle of the comb matches the angle that I saw the sugar water coming out last week. I think this is about how level my hive is NOT.

I didn't know what to do about this, so I did what any now-significantly-less-confident gal would do, I ignored it! I didn't look for the queen. I don't know why, other than the fact that I had plenty of other things to do. Also, I may have forgotten all about the poor girl in the face of such utter foundationless failure.

Hopes dashed, I got to work moving the hive over. I also added a screened bottom board.

I was dripping with sweat so I decided to pass on the veil and gloves. For the first time, I actually managed to keep my smoker lit. So one thing went right. Also, I didn't get stung. I'm happy to say that in spite of many problems, I haven't been stung yet. Knock wood (but not the hive).

I learned a lot today, and not just the importance of perfectly level hives. I also started to experience the joy of having hives that are not vehicle accessible. I thought the vehicle was really for hauling honey, and Ahll worry about that anothah day, thank you very much. Hmmm, I got some exercise today. Here's my layout in the picture. I had to haul a lot of things down to that valley: screened bottom board, veil and gloves, smoker, smoker fuel, lighter, hive tool, level, sugar water, knife, marking pen, shims, and a box to carry it all in.

I already had the shovel and rake down there. They are still down there, truth be told. It's a steep hill.

And here's the hive on it's new stand, all level and purty. But inside, all you-know-what has broken loose. Another freakin' bee-ophyte smears the good name of natural beekeepers. I'll be turning to the blogs for support yet again. I hope they'll forgive me, and I really hope I don't have to combine my two hives just yet...

Oh, and yes I did remember this time to put the rock back on the cover, even if I did forget to take the shipping tape off the cover.

2 comments:

  1. We're practicing foundationless beekeeping, but we offer the bees a "starter strip" to give them some guidance.

    We attach a slim vertical ribbon of small-cell wax foundation in the middle of the frame, and the bees do the rest.

    Don't stress about the eccentric comb.

    Here's a link to my blog, which has loads fo photographs:

    http://howsrobb.blogspot.com/2010/05/hive-of-activity.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda, thanks for commenting. I love your site, very artistic (and a great title). I do use starter strip, in my case popsickle sticks. Some have said that the hive has to be level, others say it doesn't matter, sometimes the bees just go crazy. For my part, I am now the constant leveler. Perfect for the Libra.

    ReplyDelete