Saturday, June 5, 2010

Success! I'm a beeeeekeeper!!!

On May 24th, I examined my hive and found the queen. I even marked her. This was a shockingly successful event in my humble opinion, and just what the ol' ego needed. A real shot in the arm. Plus, I'm no longer the queen bee murderer, now I've raised a new queen. Well, the bees did all the work, but I am feeling a bid more confident.

I decided that I thought she was laying well. Of the capped larvae, the pattern was pretty tight, and what wasn't capped was filled with a new larvae. She seemed to be laying wherever she could. Plus, the frame I found her on was only partially drawn out.

If only the bees would draw out more frame. Only four frames were filled out (on both sides) but that's probably all the colony could keep warm. Some of the larvae were capped, so I thought I'd see more frames filled out in a couple of weeks. On that subject, I was to be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment